A few weeks ago, I had a blood boiling experience and I'd like to get some professional opinions on the situation.
I have a buyer who is qualified for $110,000. He found a house that he wanted to look at and it was priced at $125,000. I told him that it was beyond his price range, but if he wanted to still look at it and make it offer, I would be happy to do so, but I wanted to make keep his expectations in check. He told me that he'd like to see the property anyways. I did not ask any more questions. I showed him the house and he loved it. Running, the numbers for him, they were not going to work for him.
On the feedback form, the question was asked, "Why is your buyer not interested in the property if applicable." I wrote that my buyer would not be able to afford the house. The seller (not the listing agent), sent me an email asking me why I was showing their home to people who could not afford it. I told them that I was sorry for the inconvenience, but my buyer requested to see the property and it is my job to yield to my client's wishes, and he thought he might be able to do something with it. I also added that it was a lovely home and that I would be glad to show it to another buyer. The seller then called me later that day and let me have it! She yelled that they take the time to keep their home in great shape and they don't need me wasting their time with buyers who cannot buy the property. I was told that I was incompetent because I obviously did not qualify my buyer.
I am of the opinion that any showing to a Realtor is time well spent as they can spread the word to a number of their buyers if the house is a nice house. Its fine if she doesn't want me to show her home to people who are not qualified up to the asking price-- fine. I would suggest that they make that clear on the MLS.
But my question is-- do I show the property again to another client who is qualified to buy the property? On the one hand, I have an obligation to my client to show the house if they'd like to see it. On the other hand, this seller is off of their rocker, and I fear the volatility of the seller and what it might do to the transaction if there is one. My ego would tell me not to show it just to spite the seller :-P
My idea is that I present this information to my other buyer and let them decide. What do you think?