Via Nick Pakulla Mortgage Loan Officer in MD, DC, VA (First Place Bank)
It baffles me the numbers of agents I talk with that are nervous about the possibility for a settlement to be delayed, even after the LO knows when the settlement date is, and agrees to do the loan. In my opinion, ALWAYS closing the loan on time is the number one most important goal for any loan officer!
When seeking a mortgage, you don't want clients to be stuck in-between two homes having to stay in a hotel for a week because your loan package has been delayed. Or even worse the deal falls through...
The hardest part about trying to gain a Real Estate Agent’s trust and business really seems to be that they already have something that they know works most of the time, although it may not be the best, and they are hesitant to try something new. aka: Why fix it if it isn't broken?
In my (Loan Officer’s) opinion, the top qualities of a loan officer and lending institution to meet the most important goal, the ability to ALWAYS close the loan on time, are:
- Timely response to all requests from clients and agents
- Upfront about fees and expectations
- Accessibility of underwriting and processing staff
- Ability to connect with clients and provide a high level of service
- Specific subject knowledge and expertise about the loan process and programs
- Competitive interest rates
- Delivery of loan package early
- Unique loan programs to meet certain clients’ criteria
- Ability to make business decisions on loans that don’t fit the exact mold
- LAST: The very best interest rates
If you noticed, everything relating to physically ensuring that there will be no mistakes and the loan WILL in fact close on time is near the top, with the very best interest rates being at the bottom.
What are your top qualities / goals for a Loan Officer?