Should you talk with neighbors before buying a home? Although they may attempt to not be nosy, you can bet that most of them know almost everything that you need to know about the home you are looking at purchasing as well as the neighborhood.
I once went to look at some land to list and also had an appointment to list a house in the neighborhood as well. The lady who had the land to list started telling me all about the neighborhood. Seems that the police had arrested a young man who had made meth in the home I was going to look at listing. After some checking turns out it was true. Needless to say I would not have touched that house with a ten foot pole! Well that is why unsuspecting buyers have continue to purchase homes that they should stay away from! It seems to me that speaking to the neighbors can really help a person out. I know a lot of Realtors sure do not want you to do that. I highly suggest it though.
So here is the game plan on talking to the neighbors...
Once you have decided on the home that you want to purchase, make sure that you visit the neighbors to get all of the scoop. Ask whatever question that comes to your mind. Here are some serious questions you may want to ask. I would suggest asking a couple neighbors. You may find one crazy out there.
1. How is the neighborhood association if there is one? strict, crazy or great?
2. Do you know of any assessments coming in the future?
3. How is the construction on the homes in the neighborhood? Have you had any issues?
4. Is there any crime in the neighborhood? Do you feel its safe?
5. Is the neighborhood social?
6. Why are the neighbors (house you are looking at) moving?
7. Have they had any issues with the house that you are looking at?
9. Is there anything that would prevent you from buying your own home again?
10. Anything they would have wanted to know when they purchased their home?
If you are buying or selling Real Estate feel free to contact me for more info or assistance.