Inspirational Power Quote
The Secret of Persuading Others . . .
"One of the best ways to persuade
others is with your ears -
by listening to them."
Dean Rusk, US Secretary of State 1961 - 1969
As I see it. . . . . . . .
The secret of persuading others is . . . to persuade the other person with our ears by listening to them. Or what we will call friendly persuasion.
Friendly persuasion begins with the art of proactive listening; were we invest 80% of our time in listening to the other person and 20% in speaking.
Mastering proactive listening is an acquired skill; that takes a commitment, time, patients and practice to master the skill.
By listening with our full attention and allowing the other person the freedom to speak they will freely offer an insight to their desires and motivations in their own words.
Investing our time in listening we'll discover and have a clear understanding of the other person needs, wants and their motivation.
As a result the person will give us all the information we need to persuade them.
Friendly persuasion is helping the other person achieve what they want with our assistances; by creating the understanding of the other person as a result of our listening.
Lou Ludwig, Sales and Management Consultant, Inspirational Speaker, Trainer, Educator and Author