Yesterday there was some big news on the Active Rain network. Brad Andersohn announced the staff has finally added Google Analytics to the outside blogs. A lot of us have been waiting a long time for this to happen and I can only assume that there were some big hurdles to get over to get this to even work. But it’s here so everyone should be excited. Most people have probably not had a chance to add the code to get it working yet and the few of us who jumped on this have had a chance to see the reports!
First let’s talk a bit more about how to add Google Analytics to our outside blogs. I know Brad covered this subject on how to add the code to the widget so I won’t cover that again but some folks might wonder how to do the steps prior to that so here we go.
1. Get an analytics account here. Some already have this installed on their website(s) but for those who don’t this would be a good time to do that as well. Most people already have some sort of Google account but if you don’t you can access that here as well. These instructions will be different depending on where you are at or what types of Google apps you use.
2. Next we need to login to our Google account(s) if you aren’t logged in already. You can do this by logging in at the top right of Internet Explorer or Firefox ( I don’t know on other browsers) This is what it looks like for me:
3. Now if you have not added the new account for the outside blog you can add the new account here on this screen. If you look at my screen you can see I have added this account already.
4. Then enter in the account details here. You just need to enter your domain name (www.yourblog.com) here.
5. Then get your Tracking Code. You can do that by editing the account or by checking your status depending on what stage your new or old install is for this domain name. (I had already tried installing this on my outside blog but it didn’t work until now)
6. Then you can just follow Brad’s instructions for the rest of the way by inserting that tracking code into the Google Analytic’s Widget on the outside blog. There was a minor glitch in which you would hit the submit button and then it would do nothing making you think that it did not work. You only need to press this button once. You can check to see that it indeed worked by going back to your Google Analytics account and where you got the tracking code you can check the status of the Analytics code. You will see the message below if it is working correctly:
Then you will have to wait until the day is through to see what sort of traffic you are getting. If you install it midday then you are only seeing half the traffic. Google Analytics is not real time analytics but you can check every night at 12am CST (at least that’s what time it is for me. I assume its 12am no matter what time zone you are in)
If it is working you can see where your traffic is coming from and how much traffic you are getting. I had one special visitor yesterday! J Anyways I assume that the traffic appears much lower because it was not installed until later in the day. I know my profile has received almost 6000 views so I do get traffic. Anyways you can see what mine looks like below and I hope this was helpful. Thanks to Brad and everyone else involved at Active Rain that got this working for us!!!
I wonder who that person was that read that article? But hey that's a nice spike in traffic! Wink wink!
Looking for Eau Claire Homes For Sale?
Check out my Eau Claire Real Estate Agent Website!
you have something to say please leave a comment. I will try to
comment on your blog as well.
If you really like this story flag it for a feature!
If you would like to work with an agent who is leading the way call 715-894-1001 today or send me an email.
Buy or Sell, I'll Treat You Well!