This is getting to be a serious problem, read this:
"Imitation is the Insincerest Form of Robbery"
Well it seems there’s been quite some buzz about plagerism! Yes it’s true, and a few of you here on the Rain have made a few boo-boos whether knowingly or not. Here’s a rundown of what is considered plagerism, and do you give credit to your source?
Some common examples of plagiarism are:
- copying someone else's words without using quotation marks and citing (giving credit to) the source,
- paraphrasing or summarizing someone else's words without citing the source,
- quoting someone else's words inaccurately,
- restating someone else's original or specialized ideas without citing the source,
- misrepresenting someone else's words or ideas,
- citing the wrong source, and
- pretending someone else's work is your own.
The written word isn't the only thing that can be plagiarized. You also must credit the sources of images, graphics, charts, drawings, video, music, etc. ANYTHING NOT YOUR OWN.
Just a friendly reminder to stay vigilant and credit people with quotes and links when you use their material in your posts.
Resources: Title from Debbie Schlussel slamming a plagerist of her work 7/11/08; Lobo Project on plagerism