The Garden of the Gods
The Garden of the Gods was dedicated as a city park in 1909 by the children of Charles Elliot Perkins. Perkins was a friend of General Palmer, who founded Colorado Springs, and encouraged Perkins to purchase the land that is The Garden of the Gods. After his death, his family honored his request and gave the land to the City of Colorado Springs to be used as a park, on the condition that it would remain free forever to all visitors.
Many of these rock formations are over 300 million years old and have been sculpted throughout the years by erosion.
It is generally assumed that the Native Americans named the Garden of the Gods. However, not so! In August, 1859, two surveyors started out from Denver to begin the survey of the town of Colorado City. Coming upon the amazing red rock formations, "one of the men suggested that it would be a "capital place for a beer garden" when the country grew up. His companion exclaimed, "Beer Garden! Why it is a fit place for the Gods to assemble. We will call it the Garden of the Gods."