Spring has really and truly sprung, so it is time to get our homes and yards ready for another warm weather season. A weekend's worth of work now will pay off with increased safety, decreased energy costs and increased pleasure in your home.
Here are a few things to remember to do around your Green County home this spring:
- Take a moment to check your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors. Checking them is such a simple thing, yet something homeowners often forget about until too late.
- Walk around your yard and home to clean up the trash and debris the spring winds have brought with them. Even when our yard is pristine in the fall, once the winter snows melt, we have a bunch of stuff out there to clean up. This is especially important when selling your home. Curb appeal is crucial, so keep the exterior tidy. Even if you are not selling, it is always nice to come home to an aesthetically pleasing home. This is time well spent.
- Inspect your roof and foundation. Winter takes a toll on a home. While you are outside straightening up the yard, take a good look at your foundation and roof. Taking care of repairs while the problem is still small is a lot more cost effective than waiting until it is a big job.
- Clean out your gutters. Those fall leaves have a way of sticking around and clogging up gutters. Time to haul out the ladder and clean them out or contact a local handyman service to do it for you.
- Clean out your dryer exhaust duct. Every year, a number of homes in the US end up with fires as a result of a partially clogged exhaust duct.
- Check your heating and air conditioning ducts. Clean if necessary. Clean ducts will allow the entire system to run more efficiently, saving energy costs.
Spring clean up is a great excuse to get outside and enjoy the warming weather.