During our normal hot Texas summers, we all need to do our part to conserve water. Clean water is a precious commodity that many people take for granted. Here are a few things we can all do to save a little water. Some are logical some sound kind of silly, but each of them save water.
1 Create a rainwater collection system in your yard. You can get rain-barrels from the City of Austin. Use this water to water your lawn or flowers.
2. Always water your lawn/landscape between 9:00pm-9:00am. This reduces the amount of water lost to evaporation. This means you can water less often and still save money too.
3. Check your sprinkler system and fix any leaks and reduce wasted water.
4. Install low flow/water efficient toilets in your home. The City of Austin has a great rebate program. Their are even dual flush toilets availale now. These toilets really save a lot of water!
5. Install a water efficient clothes washer. Only run the washer when you have a full load of laundry. If you can, have your laundry waste water diverted out into your yard to water your grass instead of going into the waste-water line.
6. If you choose to keep your old toilets, take a one liter soda bottle and fill with water and place in the tank so it does not obstruct the flapper and ball-cock. This will reduce the amount of water used with each flush.
7. Here is the funny one- I just heard on the radio that if every man in the USA went #1 in the back-yard just once a day, that it would save over 40 Billion gallons of water each year. (if I made you laugh -great. If I offended you-I am sorry)
The point is we can all do a little something to help conserve water. It is our most important resource and we need to work now to conserve it. Thanks for spending two minutes on the blog. Have a great and waterwise summer!
Betina Foreman, Your south Austin Realtor
If you are in the market for a new home and are not presently working with a Realtor, call me. I would be happy to help you through the process of buying a home. I specialize in Relocation and I have a network of experts to make the process easy to navigate. I look forward to the opportunity to earn your business.
Betina Foreman, Realtor
Member: Austin Board of Realtors, Texas Association of Realtors, National Association of Realtors, ActiveRain, Trulia-Top Voices, and Zillow-Neighborhood Pros.