Ok here's the skinny:
I represented a buyer (No buyer broker agreement in place, this was a "friend") who was in the market for a cheap REO or short sale. I informed her that REO's and short sales could be a lengthy ordeal. Of course she said she had time. She wanted to take advantage of the exceptional deals out there but was limited by her budget. I showed and showed and showed until she decided on a listing that I had sent her via e-mail that I had taken her to see. We wrote up an offer and sent it in only to wait and wait and wait before I finally was able to contact the listing agent at which time she informed me that all offers require a DU approval. Mind you this was not spelled out in the listing nor when I spoke to her assistant. Well after that was cleared up we sent in the DU and waited some more. After several e-mails I finally got a confirmation that everything was in order and submitted to the bank. We waited another 2 weeks and after several calls still no answer from the bank. Then after over a month the buyer gets frustrated and decides the whole ordeal is too stressful and decides she wants to wait a few months before jumping back in the market. I follow her instructions and fired off an e-mail to the listing agent to pull the plug immediately. After receiving confirmation, everyone parts ways to live another day.
Here's the kicker:
The bed wasn't even cold yet and the buyer submitted another offer with another agent 10 days later. The offer was accepted $10,000 over what she had originally offered. I see this woman every week at our networking meeting and she tells me, "You'll never guess, I just closed on the house you put an offer in for 10k more than what we offered." I said, "What offer?" trying not to choke her! She either doesn't have a clue or she is just plain stupid. She just screwed me out of my commission that I worked months for and has the audacity to flaunt it in my face.
Did I mention I have all e-mails listings, contracts and communication saved as a concise pdf ready to fired off to the State real estate commission and local MLS board? I'm so disappointed right now I don't know which route to take. I know it probably won't go anywhere but I want to ruffle feathers and make a few people lose sleep. This is not how deals are done and I want it to be lesson for all involved because if we don't police our selves this crap will just keep happening.
I need your advice AR bloggers, how would you go about handling this for ultimate effect, satisfaction and possibly monetary compensation?
P.S. No one will get in my car anymore unless they sign a buyer agreement!