Now that you have signed up , it's time to blog.
Before jumping in with your original post, read what others are saying. Contribute to the conversation by leaving comments on other blogs. Say something that adds value, don't just say, "nice blog" or something short and meaningless. If you have nothing to add, don't worry, it's ok to be silent!
What topic can you write about?
- pose a question and answer it
- discuss a real estate situation
- talk about issues in the industry
- share your knowledge
- share a new found techie toy, software
- share your notes from a great real estate or tech conference
- relate a funny experience
- talk about your market
- point out a trend
- the ideas are endless...be original
Your First Post
A good way to start is by introducing yourself to the Rainers. Be sure to include the fact that it is your first time, that way you may get more attention and comments. We all like to know who you are and what makes you tick.
Standing out in a crowd is difficult, but very possible. Be patient and consistent. Don't expect to post a blog or two and take down the house. Most of the bloggers here started with very simple blogs, graduating to larger more thought provoking blogs. Like everything else in life, blogging is a learning process. You win some, you lose some. Just keep blogging and letting your personality and talents show through. Next thing you know...you are branded!
Blogging Faux Pas
- Don't pitch yourself or sell things (unless you do it in the ad section)
- Be nasty to others, if there is controversy adding your 2 cents is just that
- Copy content from newspapers or other sources (bloggers read other stuff too...)
- fail to use the "spell check "
- Constantly bitch, moan and complain (occasionally it's ok, refrain from a steady diet)
- Remember blogging is NOT blatant advertising.
Comments on Your Blog
After you publish your blog, people may leave you comments. Consider the comments as if these people stopped by your office or your home, welcome them. You don't need to respond 1 for 1, you can do a multiple response if you like. Responding to comments creates conversation. Conversation is good, we are after all a community. Let's talk!
Blogging has a long shelf life
There's good news and bad news;
Bad news: What you say goes out on the Internet. Be careful with your blogs and comments, you don't want them to come back to haunt you.
Good news: What you say pays dividends, you blog about current events, solve issues for people you don't even know. Sometimes they call you for additional help.
Ahhh! The Million Dollar Question...how do you as a new blogger get noticed? Write good, interesting blogs. Ask for feedback. I get personal emails asking me to "review this blog and post if I'm so inclined". Wow, now that's networking the network! Take the initiative to make friends. Don't give up, Keep bloggin'.
Additional Resources for you to check out:
- Blogging for Fun and Profit
- Getting Started in the Active Rain Community
- My First Time
- Think About the Future ~ Add Value
- Active Rain Speak Up!
- Intimidated by Technology? You're on AR...jump in!
- Easy Spell Checking for Dummies on Active Rain
- Developing a Website? Watch Your Step!
- Cyber Garbage
Hope you find this helpful!