I received the first freeze warning for Pueblo West, effective Midnight tonight through the morning of October 2nd. Here are some things you might want to do:
1. Bring in or cover outside potted plants.
2. Harvest any vegetables you may still have in your garden. Green tomatoes will ripen inside or use green tomatoes in a multitude of yummy recipes you can find online or use my hearty chili recipe below. Alternatively, you can cover your garden plants.
3. Disconnect your garden hoses from the spigot.
4. Turnoff and drain your sprinkler system.
5. If you own a vacant house, you should check to make sure your heating system has been turned on or take steps to winterize the plumbing system.
Green Tomato Chili
1 lb ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
1 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped (or some roasted chile peppers picked up at last weeks Chile & Frijole Festival!)
3 medium-size green tomatoes (1 lb), chopped
1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
½ tsp cumin powder
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (6 oz) water
Crumble beef into a large pot and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
Recipe is easily doubled.