Well, I'm on my way to get out of the Greenhouse Gas Hall of Shame! Yesterday I posted Part 1 of 3 where I talked about re-insulating my attic. I won't go into all of the details again, I will just get down to business. On my way to find out the TRUE End Results of Re-Insulating your home with GREEN Insulation.
The guys showed up this morning around 8:15. This machine is in the back of a normal delivery truck. WOW! They needed a big one for this job! I didn't expect that.
They got to work upstairs attaching Webbing to the Knee Walls (because of my vaulted ceilings) and worked on the area over my Covered Front Porch area to reduce Heat Gain. As soon as it was all prepped, they started my Transformation.
They did a great job, cleaned up well, (it was pretty messy) and were out of here by about 11:15 am.
Below are before and after photos. The difference is not so much what you can see as much as what you can't. Let's just say there was a blizzard in Houston today.
Ok, I promise that this photo was taken from the same area. In the far back is my Covered Front Porch area.
This one was taken from a slightly different angle, but it is the same area. There were still Newspaper Flurries in the air and MUCH darker.
Now, can I tell a difference? Short answer, YES! It has been less than 12 hours and I do believe I can feel a difference. I honestly believe that there will be a drastic reduction in my utility bills. Here is a Before and After breakdown on my home. Now, I will say one thing. It was an extremely Overcast day for Houston and this is, again, less than 12 hours from getting this put in.
- My home has always been somewhat humid inside. Not sticky, but I have no better word for it. I thought it was coming from the windows.
- There have always been "Hot Spots" that never go away. Some rooms hotter than others. WAY Hotter.
- I never took my A/C above 75 in June.
- The A/C would run for...well, it would run. For a long time. Then cut off and start again in about 12 minutes.
- I do not notice that Humid feeling.
- I do not notice the "Hot Spots"-all of the rooms seem to be more even in temperature.
- I had my A/C at 75 like normal and it froze me out of the house. I took it up to 81 as a good experiment before I left to go make my rounds on my listings. That was at 2:00 pm. At 6:00 pm when I got home I was welcomed by a Cool Draft of air...that was not the Air Conditioner!
- My A/C seems to be running for 8 minutes. Cuts off and starts again on an average of 18 minutes. That is still at 81 degrees on the thermostat.
I am going to wait and see what my August bill is before I do Part 3. August is always my highest bill of the year. Last year it was more than my car note...slightly over $400. Let's see what it is this year. I believe my $665 investment will pay off in a pretty short period of time.
Oh, and for those of you that watched the video on Applegate Insulation's website...I tried it, without the blowtorch of course. After burning it for almost 1 minute the insulation was cool enough (the part I burned, what was now black) for me to pick up with my fingers. Cooler than a cookie HOT and fresh out of the oven. Unbelievable. As of today, I would say this is one GREAT way to start going GREEN!