In a continuing effort to keep my real estate clients and others "in the know" with the latest and greatest, I have stumbled upon a fantastic tool that Google has created to help make your website and blog even more visually appealing and engage your reader. Have you ever wondered how you could use Google Maps on your website or blog? Google has made it easy as pie to add a street map, satellite map or even a street view map of single and multiple addresses to your website or blog. You can even create a widget that allows people to get detailed directions right to your office.
To create a map for one location:
- Search for the location on Maps.Google.com.
- Specify which type of map you want: Street Map or Satellite Map. If you want the street view map, you can click on the Pegman icon above the map scale and drag it over to the address you want the street view of.
- Click on the "link" tab in the upper right corner of the map.
- If you would like to customize the size, you can click the "Customize and preview embedded map" link located directly below the html code.
- Copy/paste html code into blog or website.
To create a map for multiple locations (great for pointing out sites of local community interest):
- Login to your Google account. If you don't have a Google account, you can create one for free.
- Go to Maps.Google.com.
- Click on the "My Maps" link located directly below the Google Maps icon on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click the "Get Started" button located below the video tutorial.
- Click on the little blue balloon icon located in the upper left section of the map.
- Place blue balloon icon where address of 1st location is and click left mouse button to set it.
- Name the icon and add description.
- Repeat steps 5-6 for remaining locations.
- When finished placing all locations, click "Save" and "Done".
- Click "Link" tab at upper right hand corner of map.
- Follow the rest of the steps in creating a map for one location above.
To create widget for clients to get directions to your office (or open house):
- Go to Google Maps' landing page.
- Click "Add gadget to your site" button.
- Type in the end address (either your office address or the address of the open house) in the Gadget Settings area.
- Customize display settings if necessary.
- Click "Preview Changes" button to make sure it looks alright.
- Click "Get the Code" button to get the html code for your blog or website.
- Copy/paste html code into your blog or website.
Any of these maps can be used in a variety of ways for so many different things on your website. Use the multiple location map to show where ALL your listings are located, create a walking tour of local attractions or even list the best dining/shopping, etc. in the area so that you REALLY look like a local expert. The directions widget will help anyone be able to find your office or open house without any trouble at all. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Google Maps can be of great use on your website or blog.
This entry hasn't been re-blogged: