Did I hear the alert correctly on the television today? The emergency broadcast system sent an alert over the the television stating there is a TORNADO WATCH today in ENCINITAS and North San Diego county!
Can it be true?
My daughter asked me, "Mom, what do we do if a tornado comes?" I paused and thought for a moment.....
I'm sure if she asked me about an earthquake I could answer her question, however, she already knows what to do in case of an earthquake because they teach them in school. Afterall, earthquakes are expected in Southern California, but a TORNADO?!
So, I decided to do a little research on Tornado Survival Tips and this is what I came up with:
- Go to the lowest point of your home or office such as basement.
- Move to the center of the room away from windows
- If you do not have a basement as is the case of most homes in San Diego then go to the lowest floor and to the center of the room preferably in a closet or a bathroom or a place without windows or
- Get under a sturdy piece of furniture and hold onto it
- If you are in a mobile home...get out and seek shelter somewhere else
- If you are outside, get into the nearest building or lie in a ditch (beware of flooding)
- If you are in your car, get out and into the nearest building or lie in a ditch or lowest point you can find
- Have a cell phone and flashlight with you as well as bottles of water
- Carry a first aid kit with you into your "shelter" if possible
- Talk to your family and have an out of state relative take phone calls in case you can not be reached
Oh, by the way, it never manifested into a tornado, but, now I can say I know what to do if a tornado ever strikes Southern California!!