Wow, I just looked at the taxes and fees I'm paying with my telephone bill. My service provider is Verizon, and they are providing telephone, tv and internet. Those are the "services" I pay for on the monthly bill. However, I was pretty surprised when I looked closer at the bill to see what "non service" related fees I'm paying. Here's the list"
Taxes, Fees & Other Verizon Charges.
- Gross Receipts tax - Long Distance
- Telecommunications Access of MD Fee
- MD Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge
- MD 911 Fee
- Federal Universal Service Fund Surcharge Long Distance
- MD Federal Universal Service Fund Surcharge
- Federal Excise Tax
- MD Local Tax
- Federal Subscriber Line Charge
- PEG Grant Fee
- Video Franchise Fee
- State Sales Tax
This list of taxes and fees is actually longer than the rest of the bill. I don't blame Verizon for this since they are just collecting and passing through most of these fees. But, this is getting pretty ridiculous.
So much for Maryland's nickname calling themselves "The Free State."
Richard Iarossi, REALTOR®
Long and Foster® Real Estate, Inc.
Crofton, MD 21114
©2009 - RichSellsHomes, All Rights Reserved
©iStock Photo - Licensed for Use