1) The Blue Ridge High Country is blessed with four distinct seasons and all of the activities to go with them. There are many ski resorts in the area: Sugar, Beech and Appalachian Ski Mountain are all open from December to early March. Hawk's Nest in Seven Devils has transformed into a snow tubing park offering fun for the whole family. In the spring, summers and fall there are plenty of opportunities for exploring, hiking, bouldering, fishing, tubing, canoeing, and kayaking. We even have a local zipline and lets not forget Tweetsie Railroad for more family fun.
2) Watauga County was just voted the 8th healthiest county in North Carolina!
3) Being in our gorgeous mountain region gives the feeling of privacy and seclusion while still being an hour or two from EVERYWHERE! In less than an hour you can get to Hickory, Morganton, Wilkesboro or Johnson City In under 2 hours you can be in Charlotte, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro. This makes it an easy weekend travel destination. The large number of vacation rentals available, offer just about every range of accommodation you can dream of.
4) We have great hospitals. Appalachian Regional Healthcare System has state of the art hospitals in Boone, Blowing Rock, Linville.
5) There are lots of Cultural Arts opportunities. Appalachian State University and Lees McRae College offer many fine examples of traveling as well as local artists, musicians, writers, actors etc. The young demographic that universities have bring a diverse and exciting nightlife as well.
6) Restaurants. Obviously there are great places to eat anywhere you go but the Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk areas offer such a diverse mix of cuisines for all budgets.
7) Buying a home in the Mountains of North Carolina will always be a solid INVESTMENT! Desirability is an important aspect in the sale of any property. Even in the slow economic times, there have not been a shortage of people wanting to move to the area.
Whether you are looking to retire, go to school, raise a family or buy a second home, the High Country has something for just about everyone. Come see for yourself.