Facebook has the potential of being a great avenue for you to build relationships and generate business if set up properly. While there are a variety of elements needed to create a powerful Facebook profile, this article is going to cover one that many people may not have thought about: your username.
Your Facebook username is one of the most important parts of your profile, as it is what people need to find you. To check if you have already set up your Facebook username, log into your account and then go Account > Account Settings and click the “change” link next to the “username” option. Here, you will be presented with the option of creating the username that will coincide with your profile.
When you are creating your username, it is very important to first spend some time to think about it. The reason being is because once you create your username, you cannot change it. That being said, here are some tips to help you create an effective Facebook username:
- Keep It Short: The shorter your username is, the easier it will be for people to access it.
- Resemble Your Business: Pick a username that is affiliated with your business. This can be your actual business name, or services you might offer.
- It’s First Come, First Served: No two people can have the same username. Once it is taken, it can not be used again. If someone has taken your trademark as a username, you should report a violation to Facebook.
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Your Name: Usernames can be virtually anything you want. Don’t feel obligated to use your own name.
- Don’t Use Generic Words: Facebook states that using generic words like “pizza” or “flower” as a username is not allowed. A full list of generic words has not been released to the public.
- It Must Be At Least 5 Characters: Your username must be at least 5 characters long, and consist of alpha-numeric characters.
- Think About The Future: Who knows how Facebook is going to evolve in the future. No matter where the service goes, it’s best to create a solid username now that will stick with you, no matter what happens.
Why Is This Important?
Usernames are incredibly important because they allow people to find you in other avenues outside of Facebook. Your username allows you to publicize your Facebook profile in areas like the following:
- Your website
- Your blog
- Your other social networks
- Your business cards
- Your stationary
- Your email signatures
It gives you the opportunity to broadcast your Facebook presence in virtual and physical areas so anyone can find you. Just remember, you only get one chance to set your username, so take some time to think about it and make it count!