Architectural salvage is something you may or may not know about. Most cities or towns have a place where building materials, fixtures and other items are removed from old houses or businesses and literally saved. From there, they can be sold to homeowners to repurpose as they wish into their homes.
- Vintage Lighting. Great style options that are unique and things that can get rewired for use in your home now.
- Bath tubs. Old claw foot tubs are great. You can get them resurfaced inexpensively, treat yourself to some new modern faucets and have a whole fixture with character in your bathroom.
- Old doors. Doors are such a great thing to repurpose. They can be stripped of old paint or stain and simply oiled or polyurethane to give a unique look to your room entrances. The character of the old doors comes through. You can even use the old doors as doors for entertainment centers, home office armoires, or even do-it-yourself headboards.
- Vintage doorknobs and hardware. Give your doorways, cabinets or furniture pieces new hardware for an instant new look. You will find styles they don't make anymore. You can hang them up on a board in your mud room and give yourself creative coat hooks/pegs.
- Old windows or storm windows. These add visual interest to interior walls that divide rooms but still allow light through. You can remove the glass and add peg board or plywood sprayed with chalkboard paint for an instant kitchen message board.
- Old sinks. I have seen some amazing soapstone sinks that I wished I could have grabbed up for a kitchen or even stainless steel work sinks that could be perfect for a workshop or garden room.
- Cabinetry. You can find cabinetry that can get used in bathrooms, office spaces, kids' playrooms or in that storage room where you want to add some character. Old mantles. Give that fireplace a new look. Strip it down or paint it. There are so many styles to choose from. You can even use old mantles where you don't have a fireplace. They can help you create a focal point in a room.
- Unusual Find. My favorite find on my recent visit was an old ice cream shop counter - complete with swivel stools and a solid wood countertop. My mind was racing with creative ideas for that to be repurposed into a new kitchen or family room.
The possibilities with architectural salvage are endless. Go be creative.
Anthony Stokes Pereira, Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty
I can help you with every aspect of buying or selling your home because I'm experienced, because I am a Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty Real Estate Professional . . .and because I care.
As your Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty Sales Professional, I will provide you with the information you need to make an educated decision.
The relationship between a home buyer or seller and their agent is based on trust, shared goals and understanding. I strive to continually improve and to do this I listen and take the needs and wants into consideration.
For assistance with any of your real estate needs, please contact me, whether it's to get started on helping you realize your goals and dreams, or just to ask a question - no pressure, no hassle, no obligation - just a friendly conversation. I would welcome the opportunity to make a difference for you.