These comments are nothing new. A lot of the elected officials, such as Kathy Haigh, who do not want to be held accountable for not representing the people, excessively raising taxes, and supporting personal pet projects, have resorted to these types of slams. They are unfounded and not true. As a Tea Party Party Patriot I can tell you that the only people I see at these rallies are Americans who have a vested interest in their nation. Below is a list of the Tea Party views. If you find your self nodding in agreement you may just be one of us!
1) All forms of government must abide by the boundaries set forth in state and federal constitutions.
2) All pork and earmarks in the stimulus, omnibus bills, and bailouts must be reversed and repealed. The national budget must be balanced. Spending cuts, not increased taxation should be used to balance the budget.
3) Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness implies personal responsibility, not handouts or not government controlled economies but free-enterprise and capitalism. Some people choose to be irresponsible (and of course some fall on hard times due to circumstances), but it is not the responsibility of the general public, vis-a-vis government intervention, to guarantee or bailout irresponsibility and failure. Private individuals and organizations give out of compassion and generosity, not compulsion through taxation. laws, and pork barrel projects.
4) ALL elected and appointed officials are under the employment and serve at the will of We the People.
5) Excessive tax burdens kill prosperity.
6) Excessive national debt is generational theft, and stealing the future of our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
7) Neither major political party is "clean" on these issues. Both Democrats and Republicans have taxed excessively and neither have restrained the hand of government effectively. There are certainly individual representatives who have been faithful to their constituents and to the Constitution. However, too many are engaged in protecting their congressional positions and turf. The majority of government officials have insulated themselves from the people they serve, and hold themselves above the law. We are simply saying, "No, you aren't above the law".
8 ) The American public at large is ignorant of the purpose of government, the founding documents such as the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Federalist Papers. As a result, they allow politicians to sell them false hope and "rights" and "entitlements" that are not guaranteed by the Constitution. By educating the American people on the foundations of our history, we hope to bring sanity to the election and legislative processes.
9) As a group, we are appalled at the audaciousness and arrogance of our government in the last few years, particularly the proposals and bills passed in the last few months, despite massive public disapproval.
The Tea Party is a wake-up call to all Americans.