The CE Shop is the leading provider of online continuing education for real estate agents. We currently serve professionals in forty-six states and are growing daily. To see our course offerings in your state, visit The CE Shop.com today!
This week we have the owner and founder of Walk the Talk Presentations, Cherolyne Fogarty, who has over 18 years in real estate experience. Walk the Talk Presentations develops continuing education programs, offers speakers bureau to various organizations as well as consulting services, determines education needs and converts those needs into leading-edge, budget-friendly programs. You can learn more about Cherolyne by visiting her website: WalkTheTalkPresentations.com.
by: Cherolyne Fogarty, owner and founder of Walk the Talk Presentations, Inc.
Becoming a ‘Trust Agent’
Realtors face many challenges in today’s market, so you need every advantage possible. One of the characteristics that Realtors are known for is being ‘people-people’. They have learned (the successful ones anyway) how to build rapport and earn the trust of the consumer. And as consumers, we all tend buy from those we trust. I ran into a terrific book (that actually referred to the real estate business) called, “Trust Agents” by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith.
In this brief article we’re going to take just a brief look at the 6 Characteristics of a ‘Trust Agent.’
- Make Your Own Game The first defining skill that trust agents seem to share is their recognition of the fact that there is the established way to do things… and then there is a game-changing way to do things. This new method, which usually involves skill, experimentation, and a comfort level with trial and error is how you break out of the mold. It’s about Standing Out.
- One of Us One thing that distinguishes certain people as trust agents is the simple defining question of whether a specific community sees them as ‘one of us.’ In other words – to you have ‘street credit.’ Do you ‘belong’ to the community you represent? Have you listed or sold homes in that area? Are you familiar with the prices and trends? Do you happen to live in that area? It is about belonging.
- The Archimedes Effect You can do any of these things well, but when you mix in your unique abilities to enhance them (i.e. using your knowledge, people, technology, or time), then what you do becomes immensely powerful. The Web is one of the best tools for increasing the power of what you do. You’ve probably seen that for yourselves. It’s all about leverage.
- Agent Zero No, this doesn’t mean you ARE a zero…. It means you are at the center of wide, powerful, networks. It means you make building relationships a priority – long before any business is every transacted. As Realtors, you’re probably already doing this and didn’t realize it! You look for opportunities to network and to reach out because reaching out means reaching for business. It is about developing access.
- Human Artist Ahhh… here it is. You may be an artist and didn’t even know it! The Human Artist is about learning to work well with people, empower people, recognize the strengths and weaknesses, and know when to improve relationships and when to step away. In business terms these are called ‘soft skills.’ This characteristic goes beyond good customer service but to a deeper level. It is about developing understanding.
- Build an Army No matter how great you are – you can’t do it all alone. Developing teams, developing alliances, developing your own ‘network’ of colleagues is the key to success in any business. It is about developing mass.
Cherolyne was with the Florida Association of Realtors® for 18 years. She served as the Director of Education and developed numerous programs on all aspects of real estate. Striving to meet a need in the education arena, in February 2009, she started her own company, Walk The Talk Presentations. She combines her real-world experience with top-notch speakers and programs to bring affordable solutions to state and local boards of Realtors®.