5 tips for selling a home in a difficult market:
Everyone is looking for the answer to this question: “How can I sell my home in this market, and in the economy?” Well I have a short list of a few tips that can help you in your venture. These are just a few of the tips and a taste of the advice you can get from a real estate professional. I of course recommend using The Carolina Crew of Keller Williams Realty. Now that I have injected my shameless plug here are some tips for selling your home, in the Winston Salem/NC Triad area:
1) Staging a home can have a great return on investment. This can mean having a consultant show you the best practices for staging with your own furniture OR leasing items for a vacant home.
2) CURB APPEAL: weed the flower beds (make sure there are flowers in the bed), refresh the mulch, mow the grass, paint the fence, clean out gutters, patch driveway cracks, all the things that really make the house cute from the outside. 96% of all home buyers start their search on the internet, if the outside photo is rough, you will never get them inside.
3) If you are on the market for 6 weeks with NO showing, you are OVERPRICED. Sorry, we want you to sell for the most possible, but value is not set by agents or sellers, price and value is set by willing buyers.
4) If you have 6-12 showings and NO offers, something is wrong with your house. It could be the price. Maybe it is the floor plan, or the staging, or even smells (good or bad). Nonetheless, something needs to be fixed, OR if it can’t be fixed, you have to adjust the price to accommodate.
5) Turn on ALL lights, lamps, etc. Open curtains and blinds (unless they open to an undesirable view of the neighbor’s bathroom window or something worse). I also like to have a nice smell in the house (not too strong though). This is easily achievable by taking a metal pie pan with a couple drops of vanilla flavoring and putting it in the oven on warm just prior to the showing. Also, you can get an OIL based air freshener and spray on your air filter; this can spread a nice smell throughout the home.
These are just a few of the tips that my team and I advise our seller about when listing their home. Its not JUST about marketing these days. You must be the BEST condition and presentation AND be the best priced to get your home sold in a difficult market. This can actually put your home in a “seller’s” market, with the other 20% of the homes that are selling fast! Read more about that in my article “Defy the market and sell your home fast.” As always please feel free to contact my team and I for all your NC Triad real estate needs, we are here to help!
Get more information about your neighborhood:
Abington Neighborhood | Croyden Neighborhood | Wexford Neighborhood | Brunswick Neighborhood | The Authors | Wyndfall Neighborhood | Other Neighborhoods