I wanted to write this review of the Effective Blogging chapter of the Soci@l ebook as I have spent a good amount of time and effort blogging about all things real estate. When I purchased this book online, I couldn't wait to download it, print it, break out my highlighter, create a page of "action items" that I always do referencing the page #s, and get to work not only understanding the content of this book, but apply the knowledge to increase my blogging effectiveness.
Ben Kinney has a very conversational style of writing which makes for both a fun and productive read. The chapters are of sufficient length to really dive into depth on various concepts, but also provide another breadth to really create a robust action plan to implement.
This chapter is broken down into the following sections:
- Why Blog? Practical examples are given from the author on how the creation of unique and local content on their website ended up generation far more ROI than the cost of developing the content. The author also discusses how they leveraged their time and dollars by outsourcing local content creation.
- Reason #1 to Blog: Improve search engine rankings. This section talks about using keywords that your target market will use and writing content that utilizes these keywords.
- Reason #2 to Blog: Position your self as an expert in a field or geographic area. I found this section to be very inspiring as every agent has a certain expertise in a niche, area, etc., that can easily be communicated, and while building on the 1st reason, can really set an agent apart in their local market. The word saturation is a very powerful concept the author discusses and how this can occur in a web 2.0 environment by anyone whereas in a traditional print environment, which is very expensive, is hard to achieve.
- Reason #3 to Blog: Advertise and Market a Listing. Practical examples here make this easy to understand and implement and this is commonly done on the ActiveRain platform with posts being visible on the 1st page of Google in under 10 minutes.
- Reason #4 to Blog: Drive traffic and create links to your website. Driving traffic to one's website is often a primary goal and the strategies in how to do this are succinctly illustrated.
- Reason #5 to Blog: Expand your social media conversations. Using your blog as an anchor for all social media strategies to propagate information out to Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, among others, can be a very powerful reach to a large potential audience.
- Reason #6 to Blog: Educate future buyers and sellers. I took great interest in this chapter as I have always tried to do this in-person with each and every client, and the ability to make this universally accessible, combined with SEO, makes the impact far greater than the content of a single post.
- How to write a blog post: This is a practical section that discusses the title, body, tags and links. This section is quite lengthy and is very detailed with lots of rules. Take away: Follow the rules and watch your SEO soar!
In summary, the section on local marketing and saturation turned out to hold the greatest interest for me, as real estate has always been a local endeavor when it comes to mastering a certain geographic area or style/type of property, etc. The ability to do this online with only time and effort, no physical cost of paying for advertising, printing, production costs, etc., and the ability to control the length, and style of formatting is just unreal, given that 10 years ago, this opportunity did not exist. The ability to quickly saturate a given neighborhood, community and be found by anyone and have indirect conversations before an actual conversation occurs is nothing short of amazing.
This blog post is a review of Soci@l: Attract Friends, Followers and Connections to Your Business. Soci@l is a free download written by Ben Kinney in conjunction with ActiveRain and Jay Papasan. In exchange for downloading the free copy of Soci@l and writing this review, I have a chance to win a free iPad and I'm getting 2000 ActiveRain points.