Charlotte NC School Assignments - Providence Springs
Schools are all within close proximity to Providence Springs. The public schools to which Providence Springs children are assigned for the 2010-2011 School Year are as follows:
OLDE PROVIDENCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Principal: Rachel McKenzie
Address: 3800 Rea Road
Charlotte, NC 28226
School Website : http://pages.cms.k12.nc.us/oldeprovidence/
Olde Providence Elementary offers a strong, rigorous academic program that concentrates on effective communication skills and processes. Communications skills are extended by integrating instruction across the curriculum and in the arts. The use of technology enhances academic areas and includes video production and computers. Olde Providence also has a strong Character Education focus to support whole child development. The school was named a School of Excellence with Exemplary Growth status under the N.C. ABC's goals. It has also received a CMS Top Ten Award for Home/School Partnerships. The school’s mission, “Hand in Hand We Build the Future,” is exemplified through a highly effective School Leadership Team and a very active PTA.
CARMEL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal: Marc Angerer
Address: 5001 Camilla Drive
Charlotte, NC 28226
School Website http://pages.cms.k12.nc.us/carmel/
Carmel Middle School, a sixth, seventh and eighth grade school, recognizes that middle school students have special intellectual, physical, social and academic, emotional needs. To meet these needs, the help of the entire school community is solicited.
High expectations are set and teachers and staff work closely with parents to ensure these needs are met in a safe and orderly environment. Utilizing the team approach, Carmel students experience the feeling of belonging to a smaller group within the school population, one which has common goals and whose members are supportive of one another. There is a commitment to a shared mission at Carmel with high expectations set for all students in a safe and orderly environment.
Carmel provides for the academic needs of all students by offering challenging academic courses and a wide variety of elective courses. The school offers a variety of extracurricular opportunities. The Carmel staff, students and parents truly believe that Together Each Accomplishes More (TEAM).
The following facts describe Carmel Middle School and the learning environment provided to our students:
- A NC School of Distinction (several years running).
- Named a "SCHOOL TO WATCH" by the North Carolina Middle School Association in 2005
- 10+ years of high growth (exemplary status)
- Met Adequate Yearly Progress goals for 32 of 33 subgroups
- Large number of students enrolled in Language Arts Scholars classes as well as Math Scholars classes
- English as a Second Language Program; Exceptional Children's program
- Low student/teacher ratio
- 34+% of staff with master's degree or higher
- Numerous National Board Certified teachers
- One counselor and one administrator per grade level
- 98.4% on Safe Schools Audits
- Active PTSA Board (over 40 members) and School Leadership team (18 committee members)
- A high level of parent participation adds to Carmel's success. Parents regularly log over 1400 hours in various volunteer opportunities
- Nationally Certified AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Program.
- Home-School communications: Carmel website is updated weekly, monthly team and PTSA newsletters
- Students participate in academic extracurricular activities such as National Junior Honor Society, Odyssey of the Mind, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, NAL, Honors Band and Orchestra, Shakespeare Recitation, Chess, Science Olympiad, MATHCOUNTS, Algebra team, Geometry Team and the Battle of the Books.
- Monthly family involvement events including Family Night, PTSA meetings, AVID parent meetings and Parent seminars
- Curriculum night for the parents
- Student Publications including Paw Prints, Carmel's literary magazine, Cougar Prints, Carmel's newspaper and the yearbook
- Quality intramural and Physical Education programs
- Technology: two keyboarding labs, a research/resource computer lab, 15 Media Center computers, a communication arts computer lab, four mobile computer labs with wireless internet, at least one internet accessible computer in each classroom
- Active Athletic Program (golf, football, softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer, track, baseball and cheerleading) for 7th and 8th grade students
- Open door policy
MYERS PARK HIGH SCHOOL
Principal: Tom Spivey
Address: 2400 Colony Road
Charlotte, NC 28209
- Named one of Newsweek Magazine’s 100 Best High Schools in America
- Since 1951, when first opened, Myers Park has excelled in academic and athletic competitions
- A collegiate-like campus consisting of 13 buildings on 62 acres
- Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and honors courses are offered in most academic areas
- An integrated community which allows its students to experience people of different cultures, races and economic backgrounds, attracting students from 37 countries
- Well prepared, dedicated teachers who provide an outstanding total educational experience
- Myers Park HS achieves highest SAT scores of all CMS schools
- Myers Park ranked 38 out of 27,000+ high schools by Newsweek magazine