How do you check if your deck is built according to correct safety standards?
Building a deck is a popular project often done by do-it-yourselfers. Unfortunately, not all decks are built soundly. A deck inspection includes checking the support posts, railings and decking boards to ensure it is in proper condition and safe.
Here are some key points to look for during a deck inspection:
- Deck built immediately below electrical wires or over an air-conditioning/heat pump unit
- Warped or fractured wood support posts
- Deteriorated masonry posts
- Missing support posts
- Support posts that are sinking into the ground
- Deck securely attached to house or independently supported
- Bolts mounted head out and thread end in
- Railings and steps installed (if required) and secure and sound
- Decking in good condition and securely attached
A qualified professional will inspect the deck as part of the exterior inspection, note any issues and recommend repairs if necessary.