Getting Ready to be SOLD, Sellers practical tips. I get asked all the time..."What should I do to help sell my home?" I Love being asked that or several other "seller" questions. Why? Because it signals to me that this seller is serious. This seller really does want to sell....not just "test" the market.
So....Here we go...
- Take photos of the interior and exterior of your home. Look them over...what needs attention? What would you like to see different if you were thinking of buying this house? You will probably enjoy looking back at these photos after the house is ready to sell!
- Trim back landscaping at the front of the house...specially on a 10 yr old or older house. Don't forget the sides and rear, but the front is crucial.
- Does the Entry door need a coat of paint? Do the sidewalks and driveway need powerwashed?
- Go ahead and look up too....Are there plants growing in your gutters? I hope not...lets make sure.
- Are light bulbs inside your home working? You may want to switch back to the brighter bulbs for this period of time...In my experience, People will not buy what they can not see.
- Are the carpets / floors clean? Would a small investment in some new vinyl or laminate in that hall bath change how people perceive your house?
- If you have pets.....( I have 2 labradors and an inside cat ) Please make sure that You keep the kitty box meticulously clean. You probably don't smell it.... but I promise you....The potential buyers will. Also, Clean up after fido please. You really don't want it tracked inside.
- Kitchen areas should also be scrubbed and shining like a new dime. Not every house is new...we all understand that. There is no reason it can not be clean. Buyers do judge you and your house on cleanliness.
- Bath areas as well should always be left Clean and Shiney....Wow, does Mr. and Mrs. Clean live here? With 2 teenage sons, believe me, I know this is not always easy!
- Minimize .... huh? Sell or store that "extra" stuff that you know doesn't fit, and makes your house look crowded. Clean the closets...store the off season clothing.
- Ok guys....Clean and organize the garage. (John ducking here......) Yep, You know you looked at the garage when you bought the house. Clean and neat makes it look bigger, and you know....Size does matter!
- It should go without saying....make the beds...every day. Have the house "show ready" when you invite the Realtor over. I Love walking through a house that I can brag on to the sellers, as well as the buyers!
- Are we tired yet? Allow your Realtor/Agent access to your home! I can not sell it...If I can't get the buyers inside.
- Feel free to ask questions throughout the process. Your agent should be happy to hear from you. They will not always have "good" news, but they should always be accessible.
I am sure that I have overlooked a few things...It does get complicated. I am open to suggestion, and I am always happy to answer questions.
Century 21 LeMac Realty
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Helping You Make Your Dreams Come True!