Ask my kids and they will tell you this is one of my favorite sayings.
Originally shared with them when discussing appropriate dressing in the early teen years (think short-shorts--or booty shorts as they call them), I continue to use this to discuss the idea that just because you have the ability to do something doesn't always make it the right thing to do.
There are an amazing number of practical applications for this all-purpose saying. Some that come to mind:
- Walking away from your house and mortgage because they house across the street sold for less than you owe
- Having a temper tantrum in the store because something you were promised is no longer there or not available at the price you expected
- Listing your house with a high Sales price just because your Realtor won't explain why this is a bad idea
- Listing a seller's house for a high sales price just because you can't or won't take the time to explain how this will hurt them in the long run
- Not doing a good job on your post-rental clean-up and sacrificing your security deposit
- Keeping a security deposit after a rental ends because of regular wear and tear on the property
- Talking, texting or tweeting while driving (see my blog from earlier in the week, A Very Sad Last Tweet)
- Letting the dishes stay in the sink while your house is on the market because you have not been happy with the amount of traffic your home is getting while listed
- Letting your dog do their business and not picking it up (we watched someone do this on the golf course yesterday...as we were playing the hole!)
- Wearing that pair of pants from the back of the closet...with all the pleats (rarely do pleats do anyone any favors!)
- Refusing to call your seller because they have been angry about the way things are going with their sale
As you can see, there is a wide variety of applications for this all-purpose saying. Sometimes it is easy to excuse our own bad, or inappropriate behavior, because no one is keeping us from behaving this way. As adults, it is our responsibility to make mature decisions about our own behavior.
Unfortunatley, every day we see evidence of people doing things just because they can! I would love to hear some examples of 'just because you can, doesn't mean that you should,' that you have witnessed.
Holly Weatherwax, Associate Broker
EcoBroker,Graduate of Realtors Institute,Accredited Buyers Representative,e-pro
If I can assist you with the purchase or sale of property in Northern Virginia, please visit my website: www.greatexperience.net , my blog Real Estate and Reston or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. My direct number is 571-643-4902.
I believe buying or selling real estate should be a GREAT EXPERIENCE!
Generate More Leads from this Listing
With a Trulia Pro Account
Find what you need?
See More Blog PostsAbout Real Estate! SEE MORE NOW!