GET FOCUSED AND STOP MULTI-TASKING!
Do you pride yourself on your MULTI-TASKING skills? Are you the consumate plate-spinner... deal juggler with many balls in the air at the same time? You may be undermining your productivity by jumping from task-to-task!
A recent study from the University of Michigan shows that multi-tasking really reduces productivity by 20% to 40%! By constantly asking your brain to re-focus and rebound you are actually ricocheting between the 2 or 3 or 4 projects you have going!
It turns out the secret to getting more done... is to focus on the task at hand. Get it done-- then move on.
Here are several ways to keep yourself focused and really boost your productivity:
- Wait on checking Facebook until you have read all your e-mails... and answered them.
- Don't click on links that will take you away from the task you are working on.
- Take a break from your task-- then come back and focus.
- Make lists of what you want to accomplish. If you think of another obligation, write it down and refocus!
- Set a time-limit, and (if you need to... use a timer--there's one on your phone) get your task finished within the time you have set.
So stop multi-tasking and start getting more things done!
Inspired by USA Today post by Laura Hoxworth