Selling your home without representation is pretty risky, for a number of reasons. Sure, the Internet provides lots of information about selling, but do you really understand what it all means? Can you make sense of all the contradictions and sort through all the superfluous nonsense?
Today's buyers are a pretty savvy bunch. They watch the Internet too, and they are paying attention to the market and often have a very good sense of value and what they are willing to pay. You are not going to pull the wool over their eyes.
Aaron did a great job of outlining some issues for you to think about BEFORE you decide to move ahead without representation as a seller. So you think you will save money? Not likely, based on statistics. Maybe you'll be one of the rare success stories.
Good luck, whichever route you take.
For Sale By Owner | 5 Reasons To Avoid Selling Yourself | Austin, TX
So, you live in a major subdivision where the builders are still building (even after all these years) and there are lots of homes for sale. But maybe you don't like it here. Maybe you're thinking about moving away and starting fresh with a new job and a new lease on life.
Got to sell the home first, though. Don't want to be a landlord, and who could blame you.
There seems to be a lot of traffic in your neighborhood, so maybe you think you can sell your home all by yourself. Don't need to spend all that money on a REALTOR®.
Heck, you know more about your house than anybody else. Really care about it! You are sure you can show off its wonderful unique qualities to an eager buyer. (Never mind that there are about 20 homes with the same floor-plan for sale right now)
But WAIT! I am here to tell you that you should not go it alone! Here are 5 great reasons to hire a real estate agent (preferably a REALTOR®) to help you sell your home:
1) Market pricing: In a typical F.S.B.O. (For Sale By Owner), you are going to have trouble getting accurate figures on "sold" prices for the recently-sold homes in your area. An agent has access to all the final sales data you will need. (Grabbing a bunch of fliers from other homes for sale in your neighborhood and making an educated guess with the asking prices is NOT a good way to decide a sales price for your home)
2) Skittish Buyers: When the market is hot, sometimes people get lucky with a For Sale By Owner home because the demand is so high that some buyers will jump through hoops to find a home. But qualified buyers are very rare these days, and they rule the roost, so to speak. They see buying a home from an unrepresented seller as a risk. And skittish buyers don't like to take risks.
3) Emotional Rescue: Have you ever gotten into a confrontation with a neighbor about an alleged misdeed or breach of HOA rules? Can you imagine how unpleasant that might be? Well, that is quite possibly how a negotiation might go between two parties who are emotionally invested in the outcome. When each side has a licensed negotiator working for them, there are checks, balances, and level heads to help keep things friendly and moving forward.
4) 20/20 Blindness: You may very well have perfect vision, but chances are you have a nice set of rose-colored glasses you put on each time you look at your home. Unfortunately, those come from a custom prescription, and potential buyers don't have the same pair. A real estate agent can look at your home and suggest things you can do to make it sell faster for a better price.
5) A Lawsuit May Not Suit You: Suffice it to say that a home is probably the biggest investment your potential buyers will ever make. And there are many rules and regulations that are designed to protect the buyer, as well as the seller. There are very specific things a seller can't say or do when selling a property. And the courts don't accept ignorance of law as a defense. Real estate law is serious business. Guidance from a real estate professional can really help you stay out of hot water.
I am Agent Aaron, and I am happy to offer my services to you. Call me at 512-845-4204 for a no-obligation phone consultation for any real estate questions you may have. And thanks for reading!
— — —
Are you or somebody you know ready to buy or sell real estate?
I don't mind working hard to earn your trust and loyalty.
Hope to avoid foreclosure? I can help with your short sale.
I am happy to help you when you need it — no sales pressure.
— — —
Contents deemed reliable but not guaranteed; stats based on AbOR MLS listings; ©2010 Agent Aaron; all rights reserved; disclosure
Questions? E-mail Agent Aaron | Call or text me @ 512-845-4204
I have been in real estate since 1992 and offer my no-pressure real estate services to you and your family. I help buyers find homes for sale in all of Central Texas, including in Kyle, Buda, Dripping Springs, and Austin.
— — —