If you own a pet, deciding where to live can be one of the most important decisions you make. More than 60% of US households have a four-legged loved one, and finding the best pet friendly apartment can mean the difference between dread and peace of mind.
Here are ten questions to ask when looking for your next pet friendly apartment.
1. Are Pets Welcome? Many communities say they are pet friendly, but they aren’t really too fond of having you and your pets around. Start by bringing your dog with you when you tour the property – you can tell if pets are welcome by their reaction.
2. Are there other pet owners? Look around when you tour the property. Do you see any signs of dogs, or do you see cats in the windows? If you are the only resident with a pet, that can cause friction with neighbors.
3. Is the property near parks or outdoor areas? Living in smaller spaces means you may need some place close to walk your dog. Ask the leasing staff if there are open areas or dog parks nearby.
4. Is there a vet or emergency animal hospital near the property? Hopefully you won’t ever need this, but if you do, you will be thankful later.
5. Does the property have designated pet areas? Some communities have designated areas just for pets. This can be a good social outlet for you and your dog.
6. Are there off leash areas close by? Some dogs love to roam and having a designated off leash area is a big bonus.
7. Do they give Doggie treats in the office? Seems simple, but if the property is truly pet friendly then they will make your pet feel welcome.
8. Do they offer Onsite grooming or other services? Although it’s not all that common – some properties offer special services for pet owners.
9. Is the living area pet friendly? Look at how the apartment is spaced out. Do all the rooms have carpet? Are there only open areas, or will it be easy to create separate spaces for you and your pet?
10. Does the property have pet friendly community activities? Socialization is important for both the owner and the pet. Ask if they offer any specific activities tailored towards pets.
Your four-legged loved one is a big part of your family, and having the right pet friendly apartment can be one of the most important decisions you make.