Here is some great advice from my colleague in California. When making any home improvements you have to take into consideration how it will affect the home and the returns on your investment.....
Many home inprovements are not helpful to increase the value of the home. Some are for personal enjoyment and personal taste. These 5 ideas may bring personal enjoyment while you live in the home, but actually detract from value in selling the home.
1. Over the top extreme renovations - Examples are italian marble baths, and steam showers. Unless you live in an area like Bel Air, most people so not care for these personal decorating renovations.
2. Swimming pools - Not many people actually want a pool. Some will take it if it is there, but they do not want to pay for the maintenance and energy. Many people look at a pool as a hole in the ground in which to pour water.
3. Home office renovations - Each room now needs to be more neutral to have multiple uses. Office builtins can detract from the value as people want extra bedrooms or dens or even an exercise room.
4. Unique builds - Avoid a pond in the backyard, super large BBQ and patio, and lights like disco balls. People like the more neutral so they can adapt the home to their lifestyle and personal taste.
5. Roof changes - Fixing a leaky roof is important, but installing new tiles or shakes will not necesarily increase the price of the home. The new owner may not like what you choose.
It is important to ask buyers what they are looking for and conside neutral and simple in home improvements.
A boutique Real Estate Office, with a full service team to serve all your Real Estate Needs
La Quinta, Palm Desert, Indio, Rancho Mirage, Coachella , Indian Wells and the surrounding Palm Springs Area.
78065 Main St., Suite 107
Old Town La Quinta
La Quinta, CA 92253
Phone: (760)777-8788 • Fax: (760)771-5355