Are You Ready to Feel the Burn?? - I Sure Wasn't
As a Home Inspector in Austin, Texas I end up in some fairly precarious places. I mean steep roofs, crawl spaces and attics can present hazards that many people don't encounter in their daily routine.
Last week while doing a Home Inspection in Austin Texas I got burned.....literally. As I entered the attic I accidentally touched an exposed 100 watt light bulb with the inside of my arm.
When I do a home inspection I call out all exposed bulbs no matter where they are. Exposed light bulbs get extremely hot, like 400 plus degrees hot.
Light bulbs should always be protected to prevent accidental burns. Many bulbs are protected by using a wire or plastic cage while others are protected with a glass globe.
Exposed bulbs are a burn hazard. They can also be broken much more easily than ones with proper protection. Once broken, bulbs can become a shock hazard and all that glass will surely end up in someones foot!
So, take a look around next time your helping your seller get their home readied for sale. Make sure that bulbs are properly protected. If you don't, unprotected bulbs will most likely end up on your home inspector's report.
Try not to get burned out there and thank for checking in,
Andy Chaudoir - Professional Inspection Services
"Your Home Inspection Connection in Central Texas"
512-632-3232 - www.centexinspections.com