Are You Ready to Feel the Burn?? - I Sure Wasn't

Home Inspector with Professional Inspection Services - Georgetown, Texas

Are You Ready to Feel the Burn?? - I Sure Wasn't

As a Home Inspector in Austin, Texas I end up in some fairly precarious places.  I mean steep roofs, crawl spaces and attics can present hazards that many people don't encounter in their daily routine.Unprotected and Hot Bulb

Last week while doing a Home Inspection in Austin Texas I got burned.....literally.  As I entered the attic I accidentally touched an exposed 100 watt light bulb with the inside of my arm.

When I do a home inspection I call out all exposed bulbs no matter where they are.  Exposed light bulbs get extremely hot, like 400 plus degrees hot. 

Light bulbs should always be protected to prevent accidental burns.  Many bulbs are protected by using a wire or plastic cage while others are protected with a glass globe. 

Exposed bulbs are a burn hazard.  They can also be broken much more easily than ones with proper protection.  Once broken, bulbs can become a shock hazard and all that glass will surely end up in someones foot!

So, take a look around next time your helping your seller get their home readied for sale.  Make sure that bulbs are properly protected.  If you don't, unprotected bulbs will most likely end up on your home inspector's report. 

Try not to get burned out there and thank for checking in,

Andy Chaudoir - Professional Inspection Services

"Your Home Inspection Connection in Central Texas"

512-632-3232 -


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
ActiveRain Community
Texas Travis County Austin
30in30 Showcase
home inspection
exposed bulbs

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Alan Bruzee
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc. - Rockville, MD

That is a great point.  Thanks for shedding some light on it!!!

Sep 16, 2010 08:56 PM #1
Terry Lynch
LAR Notary and Closing Services - Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have actually done that in my own house. Of course I haven't got around to fixing the problem either. Thanks for the reminder.

Sep 16, 2010 09:05 PM #2
Barbara Altieri
RealtyQuest, Fairfield and New Haven County CT Real Estate - Shelton, CT
REALTOR-Fairfield County CT Homes/Condos For Sale

Ouch!  Good warning and a good thing for sellers to correct pre-inspection.

Sep 16, 2010 09:21 PM #3
Robert Hammerstein
Keller Williams Valley Realty - Hillsdale, NJ
Bergen County NJ Real Estate

Andy - Yes ouch indeed... Go with the new green lights {fluorescent} much cooler to the touch no?

Sep 17, 2010 02:53 PM #4
Lenn Harley
Lenn Harley,, MD & VA Homes and Real Estate - Leesburg, VA
Real Estate Broker - Virginia & Maryland

Andy, Andy, Andy.  Couldn't you SEE the lighted bulb???

Sep 18, 2010 07:05 AM #5
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Andy Chaudoir

Your Home Inspection Connection in Central Texas
Ask me a question
Spam prevention