We have all read the posts about how the market has changed and why there is so much Realtor turnover. My thought is that if you are lucky enough to rate highly in the following areas your chances of making it in this market are much greater.
1. Come to the right party. Be a Realtor because you know what this business really entails and are willing to do it anyway. If you don't enjoy doing the often tedious, repetitive or intimidating daily grind of being a Realtor go back to something less demanding. Don't recruit your buddies because you enjoy their company.
2. Have the necessary resources for the long haul. You will need money for marketing and living expenses ( and a whole bunch of unforseens ). Are you willing to spend hard earned savings, borrow from friends or have your spouse ( or yourself ) get a second job ? No ? Move on before the savings are gone.
3. Know how to sell. Not the quickie 3 hour course, certainly not a book , SALES SKILLS. Have you successfully done commission sales or " outside sales " ? Can you: fact find , qualify, trial close, overcome objections, close ? Did you recognise those terms and have you made a better than average living using them to sell a service or product ? If you answered "NO" you might want to update your resume.
4. Be light on your feet. Not talking weight here. When faced with difficult challenges do you adapt easily. Are you willing to change techniques or strategies when the market begins to move away from you. If you accept change. and better yet, if you are good at spotting it before it knocks on your door you will do well.
5. Know who's team you are on. How many people who know you well would describe you as a tough negotiator ? How many would describe you as a facilitator or mediator ? You must never lose sight of who you represent while negotiating the best deal for your client. Don't like fighting over details or trying to find the common ground upon which to build a deal ? They may be hiring at the pizza place.
6. Glass half full... Many people in this business probably don't belong here and many of those will leave in the next 6 months. During that time they will spend huge amounts of time and energy perfecting their exit song. You have heard the lyrics: " I ain't got no buyers", " My woman is upset, my truck broke and my dog won't hunt !", " The market won't support us." etc. If you listen to those songs or can't change the radio station to get away from the negative lyrics your gig as a Realtor may be over. You just don't know it yet.
So, honestly, can you say that you rate well on the above ? Or are you willing to work hard at acquiring these skills ? If so, this may be the best job in the world with tremendous income potential as well as personal satisfaction. If you rated well on the above you are truly blessed and will continue to do well. I am interested in your ideas. Good selling to you all !