Come visit the the largest town in Indian Territory in 1850 - Doaksville (Fort Towson, OK 74735)
Who knows, you might decide to move here and enjoy this historically rich area all of the time! It's right here in Choctaw County, Oklahoma.
Who would ever guess that Fort Towson, Oklahoma with a population of only 611 on the 2000 census has within it's city limits the remains of Doaksville, Oklahoma which was the largest town in Indian Territory in 1850!
Having the second military fort to be established in what later became Oklahoma, for protection helped it to do so well.
The Fort Towson troops were very active during the Mexican War (1846-1848). Confederate troops controlled the fort during the Civil War.
Doaksville was the Choctaw Nation Capital until 1863. A great commercially advanced town.
In the 1840s and 1850s the town's center was composed of about thirty buildings including two newspapers, a hotel, jail, school, several stores, a gristmill, blacksmith, and other businesses.
Josiah Doaks had a trading post set up and it became Doaksville. As the Choctaw Indians were relocated to Southeast Oklahoma from Mississippi, they established their headquarters near the trading post and it became known as Doaksville.
A military post was established at nearby Fort Towson and with the commerce that was taking place between other metropolitan areas and Fort Towson, roads were established between Fort Towson and these areas. The roads were used to deliver supplies to the fort. Red River was even used as a waterway for steamboats in 1830s to carry supplies. (The excavation of one of those steamboats - The Heroine)
The Choctaws and Chickasaws signed a treaty at Doaksville in 1837 which allowed the Chickasaws to settle in the western part of the Choctaw Nation. The Chickasaws leased the land from the Choctaws until an agreement was later reached that created a separate district for the Chickasaws.
Doaksville began declining around 1854 when the nearby fort was abandoned. The Choctaws moved their headquarters to Chahta Tamaha and then later to Tuskahoma where it is today.
The Doaksville/Fort Towson area had an agricuturally based economy. With most of the men active in the Civil War, that economy suffered. The Civil War actually ended at The Battle of Doaksville, Indian Territory when Stand Watie, the only Indian Civil War General, signed a cease-fire with Union forces on June 23, 1865.
All that remains of Doaksville now are old foundations and cisterns. There is a walking trail that can be reached by going over the steps on the east side of Fort Towson cemetery. A Candlelight Walking Tour is conducted annually with the date this year being October 1 & 2, 2010.
Those participating are taken on a hayride through the cemetery and then walk through the Doaksville remains. Along the way they encounter Historic Re-enactors.
The Fort Location (1/2 mile east and 1/2 mile north of Fort Towson town) also is composed mostly of foundations. An annual war re-enactment takes place there every year. They are open weekdays for viewing and also have some civil war artifacts. Call 580-873-2634
The town of Fort Towson has within its city limits Lake Raymond Gary where you can own waterfront property at a great price. Lake Raymond Gary is a trophy fishing lake and is stocked annually with catfish. Bass and Crappie also abound in the lake. Fish from your back yard. Lots beginning in price at $15,000 for approximately 1/2 acre. Call me and let's talk about this varied area with history and water both in abundance.
Home for sale $65,000.
More history of beautiful Southeast Oklahoma: