Do you focus on what's important to be a better real estate agent?
If you break down what we do as real estate agents, it comes down to two primary functions. That's not to say that these functions don't expand into hundreds of tasks, but these two functions determine how good we are as agents and our level of success.
For planning my business, my order of priorities is:
- First, we need to connect with people that will benefit from our expertise in buying real estate or selling real estate. If this doesn't happen, you're pretty much done.
- Second, we need laser-sharp focus on delighting our clients. They've entrusted us with some of the largest financial transactions that they are likely to make. Honor that trust. It is our fiduciary responsibility to do everything possible to ensure that that transaction is fulfilled in a manner that exceeds their expectations.
As I plan each day, my order of priorities is:
- First, where are my clients at? Any closings, inspections, foreclosure sale dates approaching? Take care of this first. They are #1.
- Second, make time to connect with people that will benefit from consulting with me regarding the purchase of real estate, selling real estate, or understanding a short sale.
- Lastly, after I have compiled my day's to-do list, I ask myself of all of the activities on this list what are the 20% of activities that will have an 80% (or better) impact on my business? This last step is necessary because accomplishing every task on the dailey list would typically require a 24 hour day . I try to work an 8 to 10 hour day to maintain balance in my life. Or, to put it another way – to have a life.
I find a lot of value in honoring the 80/20 rule (you know, 20% of your activities will bring about 80% of your success). I find that it helps me stay focused on what adds value for my clients and to my business. I know that I can't do it all in a single day. I also understand that if I can accomplish that 20% I will have satisfied clients and my business will continue to grow and improve. It also helps me to be balanced. Stay focused.