Top 10 Weird Homes in California
Here I will give a top 10 list of weird homes in California. What makes the homes in this list weird? Most of them are weird homes architecturally. Other weird homes have a history to them that lead people to believe they are haunted or were built for special purposes other than to live in. This is not a definitive list, just a compilation of weird homes i've come across on the internet over a period of time. Please help me add to this list if you know of any weird homes in California or maybe you think you live in the weirdest home. Send some pictures! I love to look at unusual homes with unique architecture or to read about 'famous' homes.
1. Of the weird homes in California, The Winchester Mystery House (aka The House Built by The Spirits) in San Jose is among the most famous. No blueprints were ever drawn up for this home that contains 160 rooms, 47 fireplaces, 17 chimneys, and 467 doorways. Some of the doorways don't lead to a room, some of the chimneys don't make it through the roof, and some of the staircases lead absolutely no where. Many say the Winchester home was haunted and that the reason for the design was so that Sarah Winchester (the builder of the home) could flee from evil spirits with quickness and ease. The Winchester Mystery Home is currently available to tour but like the tourguide says, make sure you stay with the group or you could get lost for hours!
2.The Bubble House - located in the Bay Area. A very interestingly designed home out in the woods of Northern California.
3. A lonesome home atop a mountain in Montara, California.
4. Geodesic Dome House in Ojai, California - This beautiful, eco-friendly dome house is 44 feet in diameter and 22 feet high.
5. The Saxaphone House in Orinda, California.
6. Circular House On A Stick in Concord, California.
7. Neverland Ranch in Santa Barbara County, California - The Neverland Ranch was home to Michael Jackson and featured a merry-go-round, a ferris wheel, and several other theme-park-like attractions. After Jacksons unfortunate death in 2009 it is now said that his two kids will purchase the home.
8. One-Log House in Garberville, California - " It is a one-bedroom house hollowed out from a single log that came from a 2,100-year old redwood tree. After felling this 13 foot diameter forest giant, Art Schmock and a helper needed 8 months of hard labor to hollow out the log into a room 7 ft. high and 32 ft. long, weighing about 42 tons."
9. Mega Mansion in Palm Desert, California built by Duane Hagadone.
10. The Ennis House in Los Angeles, CA - The creation of Frank Lloyd Wright is now a California landmark and monument. The house was built in 1924 for Charles and Mabel Ennis and was made from concrete block.
Images and information taken from:
More about the author of this article:
I have been in the Real Estate Industry for over 22 years. Since 1988 I have been the Broker/Owner of RE/MAX North Orange County. RE/MAX NOC has successfully closed over 8,000 transactions for both residential and commercial real estate. Earning myself Re/Max's prestigous Re/Max Hall of Fame Award. I also uses the latest technology and communication tools with Zillow, Active Rain and Facebook.
Being an adventurer at heart I love to give back to the community and support local causes; I am very involved in Fullerton's Community and am a strong supporter of the Children' s Miracle Network, Susan G. Komen race for the cure, Meals on Wheels, Toys for Tots and the Fullerton Rotary. Yet in today's climate I prefers Honda's over BMW's. For more information about me you can visit me on Facebook or Active Rain. Don't settle for just any real estate agent or company for your home buying or home selling needs in Orange County. Give yourself the advantage of working with the best... Ron Holborn!