Many sellers would think we are crazy to suggest that they start working to prepare their home for sale when spring is still months away and they haven't even finished the Thanksgiving leftovers. Those of us that work in the real estate industry know all too well the pitfalls of this kind of thinking. This is actually the perfect time to dive in if you are planning to sell your home in the "spring market." Let's look at the numbers:
The Super Bowl is on February 6th this year which means that the real shopping for new homes will start to pick up on the following weekend (February 12th.) There are 14 weekends between now and that date. Taking out a few for the upcoming holidays leaves most homesellers a maximum of 20 or so productive weekend days to really work on their homes.
How did 3 months become 20 days? It is the reality of our busy lives and it is the reason that sellers should start the process now!
What is the best way to dive in?
- Create a list of Realtors that you would like to interview (or if you already have a Realtor picked...skip this step!)
- Call the Realtors on your list and either set up interviews or contact your specific Realtor to meet and set up a game plan for the selling of your home.
- Discuss the amount of work your Realtor sees you will need to complete to get your home "market ready."
- Discuss with your Realtor the idea of scheduling a Home Staging Consultation with a professional stager who can work with you to create a comprehensive list of the work that needs to be completed.
- Establish a calendar that allows a realistic plan to complete the To-do's and that leaves you breathing room if time gets away from you.
- Talk to your stager to identify those tasks that they can take care of for you.