Some people have said that there is not much to do around Ione, Like M&M’s those people are just plain nuts! While the foothills are a bit more relaxed and laid back than some big city, we have a lot of fun and satisfying things to do around here. Today let's look at Howard Park on the outskirts of Ione. If you are looking for a place with room, indoors, outdoors, or in-between, Howard Park is just the place to look. Plan to have your next event, family reunion, wedding, or corporate outing at Howard Park! Indoor facilities available include a Hall and Kitchen, while outdoors there are picnic areas and fields for soccer, baseball and softball - perfect for tournaments or your group recreational event. And don’t forget the free skate park. Also availible is the Ed Hughes Memorial Arena perfect for horse shows and livestock events.
Howard Park’s current facilities include:
- 4 Soccer Fields
- 2 New Play Structures
- 2 Snack Bars
- Evalynn Bishop Hall Community Center
- Individual & Group Picnic Grounds
- Horseshoe Pits
- Skate Park
- Ed Hughes Memorial Arena
- Band shell for live music
Many additions and improvements are planned for the future.
This is a view of the proposed master plan.
Howard park also offers the Ed Hughes Memorial Arena
- Overall Size - 500,000 square feet, 200ft x 250ft. Within the movable panels - 165ft x 250ft.
- Lighting - 800 amps in addition to solar panels for total illumination with no dark areas.
- Seating - Bleachers for 400 and standing for several thousand.
Restrooms are available on premises in addition to water for animal use.
- Parking available for both spectators and participants.
- Easy ingress and egress for all visitors and participants.
- The arena is surrounded by over 90 acres of a beautiful park setting with an historic race track and picnic amenities.