Every Monday I get a series of phone calls from folks promising me everything from 100 pre-qualified leads a month to getting me on page 1 of Google®. The phone may start ringing between 4am and 5am. I noticed that 90% of these calls come on Monday. These folks seem to only work one day a week.
These people from New York or India or wherever they are, who claim to be in tune with my business and its needs have no idea what time it is in Hawaii.
The call I seem to get the most is from the SEO guys promising to put me on page 1 of Google®. The two most common pitches I get from them.
- If I could put you on page 1 of Google, would that be worth $3000 to you?
- I was on the internet and noticed your website was not on page 1 of Google.
Here are a few the responses I have used.
- I don't believe you can do it.
- I am getting tons of these calls. For all of the telemarketers to find my site, I must be placed well on Google®.
- What is the name of your company? I am on Google®. You can't even get your own company page 1?
- This is my cell number and its 4:00am here. Give me your cell number and I will call me back at 4:00am your time.
- I am already on page 1 and I did it for free.
- Who are you with? Never heard of you. CLICK
- I can put you on page 1 of Google® for $1500.
- I just signed a contract with your competitor for $4500.
- Can you please hold? Shucks I forgot I had someone on hold.
- E-mail me the information and I will call you back.
- What do you mean? What is Google®?
- Why is being on page 1 a good thing?
- I am busy with clients can you call me back on Saturday afternoon?
- How much to get me on page 2?
All kidding aside, the sharks have identified Realtors® as easy suckers. I get 100+ spam e-mails a day and a dozen or two similar phone calls a week. It is obvious that many in our business are being taken regularly for large sums of money or else there would not be so many sharks circling.