One day before the deadline I am posting for the Honesty Contest....I have been really thinking about this for a few weeks. I have struggled to write this post. I have been spending hours thinking about it. Here it goes...
I believe I am an honest person, however, exclusion of information can be construed as dishonesty, right? Well in some perspectives, holding back information. so dishonest! Not sure I would agree.
Let me explain:
Is the buyer's honesty the same as seller's honesty or my honesty? NO way, we are dealing with people...It's perception. We all have different views on what is important to each of us!
- I advise them from the get go, I am blunt direct and to the point! Skipping the small talk when in the business mode, does that make me dishonest?
- The most vital parts of the journey I convey but the little ones..you know the little miscommunication the human error..hmmm. Should I share every little gory detail....and if I don't am I dishonest?
- How about the snide remarks that comes out of someone's mouth in reference to someone party to the transaction. Am I dishonest for not mentioning it?
There are several views of one story...does my perspective....make me dishonest?
What is dishonesty to me?
- Making promises you can't keep-That's right there is enough that goes wrong, why would you over-promise and under-deliver after-all you are in control of that!
- Dodging phone calls especially when there is a challenge in the middle of a real estate transaction-Often times no news is bad news..doesn't everyone deserve the truth?
- Trashing your customer or some party in the transaction.-Ever hear the phrase, what goes around comes around. Be careful...in Daytona Beach, everyone knows someone who knows you!
- Lack of communications with your customer- Nothing is more frustrating than trying to get a hold of someone who ain't talking. It creates fear and builds a lack of trust!
Paperwork incomplete- our job is to protect the public from harm. Remember the movie,"The Money Pit," It could happen!
As far as how I carry myself...
- Whatever decision in life that I make, I consider the fact of whether I can sleep with myself or not! If I can look myself in the mirror...I know I was honest!
- Is hurting someone's feelings intentionally really worth winning the war! That means sometimes some things are better left unsaid.
- I try to see life in different angles as well as through someone else's eyes-Everyone's priorities are different and again you never know what is going on in someone else's lives.
- I try and listen more, when people come to me for advice, often times, they realize their truth! We set a plan and then it becomes their reality.
Everyone is honest until they prove to me otherwise. I am trusting.
I don't really think in terms of of honesty or dishonesty.
I don't judge.
Each person with their own thoughts, ideas and dreams.
You are innocent until proven guilty..it's intent that matter's to me.
So yes if you have a piece of lettuce stuck in your teeth I will tell you.
But if you ask me if I am having a good day and I am not.......
You may not be able to count on the truth for that one..
I suppose that makes me pick and choose my truths..
Does that make me dishonest?...you decide.....