A friend of mine was thinking of selling her house herself, as a For Sale By Owner.
Here are twenty reasons I could think of not to do so:
1. An agency will fetch a price that will pay for the commission, above what a buyer would pay.
2. Which typical seller has time to market one alone?
3. Which typical seller has the knowledge to avoid legal issues alone?
4. Who knows where to market it for maximum exposure except a professional?
5. A salesperson negotiates a higher price which is expected because a salesperson is involved.
6. Buyers in a hurry to buy will not have time to look at For sale by owners, especially if they make quick visits from out of town.
7. Buyers wanting to buy soon will use an agent. It costs them nothing.
8. Agencies help sellers stage homes for maximum appeal.
9. Buyers need advice to buy a house and rely on the experience of agents to help them decide on a home.
10. Buyers need the agent's knowledge of the market to fill their needs quickly.
11. Since serious buyers are urgent buyers, they use agents to hold their hands and find them homes.
12. Out-of-town, or out-of-the-country sellers cannot take care of selling houses all by themselves, because they can't let in buyers to see the house.
13. Agents are useful to explain the process of buying homes, and will not help For Sale By Owners without the incentive of a commission.
14. Which typical seller can ascertain typical prequalifications of a buyer?
15. People who want to get decorating ideas may ask to see a For Sale By Owner home.
16. People who can't afford to buy may get into For Sale By Owners, since they haven't been prequalified.
17. Sellers on their own, alone, won't use suggestions from buyers to sell it faster, since visitors generally won't or can't tell them, and they won't generally ask, whereas agents will help them sell it faster with other agents to help them.
18. Seller's agents can help properties sell faster for the most money with the least hassle.
19. Serious buyers often want second opinions when they buy houses and decide to use agents for that reason, who will not show them For Sale By Owners.
20. For Sale By Owners may advertise them in inappropriate publications where target buyers do not browse the advertisements.
I could think of more, but these just came off the top of my head. Can you think of any more?