More than 4,000 Americans die and approximately 25,000 are injured each year in fires. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an overwhelming number of fire occur in the home. Yours doesn't have to be one of them- are safe with these simple tips:
Have at least one working smoke alarm. Test it monthly, keep it free of dust, and replace the battery at least once a year.
Prevent electrical fires. Never overload circuits or extension cords, and don't place cords and wires under rugs, over nails or in high-traffic areas.
Use appliances wisely. Overheating, unusual smells, shorts and sparks are all warning signs that an appliance isn't safe to use.
Use portable heaters with care. Keep anything combustible at least three feet away. Kerosene heaters should be used only where approved by authorities and never use gasoline or camp-stove fuel.
Keep fire in the fireplace. Use fire screens and have your chimney cleaned annually. The creosote buildup can ignite a chimney fire that could easily spread.
Plan your escape from every room in the house. Stay low to the floor, and never open doors that are hot. Remember to get out before calling for help.