It's that time of year (here in Phoenix, anyways) when pollen is going nuts and allergy sufferers are, well, suffering. This spring hasn't been AS bad for me in recent years, but here's some tips to minimize your miserableness:
1. Shower before bed. You pick up pollen all day on your hair, clothes, and skin - don't take it to bed with you!
2. Stay indoors during peak pollen hours of 10-4. If you excercise outdoors (not an issue for me!), do so in the early morning, when pollen counts are lowest.
3. Limit your dairy intake. (OK, THIS one hurts me!). Many doctors believe dairy products increase mucus production, which can amp up allergy symptoms.
4. Clean your home! Change air vent filters, rinse window screens, launder your curtains - all of these collect pollen.
5. Wash your pet, too! If your hair collects pollen, think how much must be on your pet! Especially if they go outdoors.
6. Use nasal irrigation. Yes, sounds funny, but it works! Neti pots (look like plastic tea pots) or saline sprays work great for clearing your sinuses. A little awkward at first, but WELL WORTH the relief!