Here is a list of the Top 5 Worst Cities to Be a BPO Agent:
1. Los Angeles, CA
2. New York City, NY
3. Chicago, Illinois
4. Miami, Florida
5. Las Vegas, Nevada
(Notable mention goes to: Detroit, Michigan).
I know that answers to this question are very subjective. The main point of this blog post is to point out how being a BPO Agent is different for everyone. Where an agent or broker chooses to reside and practice real estate means a lot about their character and their coping skills, to name but a few items. If someone chooses to do BPO work in a heavily populated area with higher rates of crime, they have to have 'thicker skin' than someone that does BPO work in a small town that has a much lower rates of crime. I don't know how some agents and brokers do it!
Just so you know, my answers are based on these factors:
* Taking with thousands of BPO/REO agents all over the U.S. in the last 5 years and hearing their stories.
* Researching various sites that offer national crime stats.
* Researching various places on BPO order volume and amount of competition to population.
* Knowing about the high rate of traffic and congestion that agents and brokers or their teammates deal with.
* Having first-hand experience with a wide range of MLS' and seeing the quality of information that is available.
* Basing it on me personally visiting most of these places for myself for varying amounts of time.
So, when it comes down to it at the end of the day, where there are a lot of people there is a wide array of tremendous opportunity and potential for success but at a cost. Sometimes this cost is a huge downfall for people in the BPO business who are just trying to make a living.
I know that I can't imagine having to fight everyday through heavy traffic and deal with an MLS that doesn't offer quality data. For any of you that are in the business and do live in any of these areas, I'd love to hear about how you make things work for you. If you want to share the best part about being a BPO agent in your local area or the worst part, I'm sure others would love to hear about it! What are your thoughts?
About BPO University:The BPO University is the very first accredited school where all real estate professionals in Washington state can take clock hour approved courses on Broker Price Opinions as well as on how to use automation software within their BPO and REO business. The BPO University's 'BPO Inner Circle' coaching program offers students a virtual learning environment that is almost entirely self-serve. Students are in direct control and choose when, where, how and what methods they want to learn more about the BPO industry. Learn More »