Thanks to Paula Hathaway for providing this link and summary of the robo-signing scandal. I don't know if you remember, but last year, when this broke, the banks "investigated" and in two weeks decided that everything was just fine. I pray that there will be exposure of this huge fraud, and hopefully, restitution for those who have been cheated.
"SUDDENLY, LAST SUNDAY"....That is when the big news broke!--It broke on 60 Minutes when a "Fraud Investigator" was interviewed and she shed some light on the mortgage mess for us mere mortals! Take the time to see the whole report right here: (I had to remove my link because it did not work) so here is Tni's link--it works!:
I would love to hear what all of you have to say about this outrage. The scenario goes like this now:
- In '92, the "Community Re-investment Act" was instituted by the government and banks were told to help the poor unfortunates who could not afford the down-payment on a house, to accept low or no down-payment. Everyone should have a house!!!
- Some young "brainiac" sat in a back room of a big bank and came up with the idea that the best way to sell these less desirable mortgages was to "hide" them by rolling them into a log of all mortgages, cutting them up and selling them that way...what a great idea! And Investors clamored for them and banks sold them!
- The banks, seeing an opportunity to make a killing on these "MBS" or Mortgage-Backed Securities couldn't produce them fast enough...they were selling like hot cakes.
- In order to speed up the production of these "traunches", they cut corners.
- They did not take the time to fully research and in fact, could not find the legal documentation that they needed to prove ownership of the mortgages.
- So they skipped that part of the process and sold the MBS as if they were above-board investments
- When it was discovered, sometime in '08 that they were going to be a problem, (Probably after the meltdown when it was apparent that the Housing Boom was crashing) the banks began to hire thousands of people to sign fake mortgage instruments to cover their fraud.
- After the crash of the house market, and after the big "bail-out" that failed as well, the banks went after the little guy like they were criminals in hiding.
- Foreclosures were started on the homeowner who had been unseated by the crash and in some cases the houses were auctioned off while the owner still lived there!.
- Now our government is trying to help the banks out of this Holy mess by "creating a fund that will pay off the homeowner so that they will not sue the bank for fraud when the bank can not come up with the legal proof of ownership"...or some such scheme.
- The American Dream of home ownership became the American Nightmare..."SUDDENLY LAST SUNDAY"
I am sick to death of schemes, aren't you???
**ALL INFORMATION AND CONTENT IN THIS BLOG IS ORIGINAL TO PAULA I. HATHAWAY
Paula I. Hathaway, LBA, Prudential Douglas Elliman
Southamtpon Village Real Estate Specialist since 1995; Also Specializes in North Sea, Noyac, Water Mill and Bridgehampton, New York
Diamond , Gold and Chairman's Circle Awards; Top Producer since 2005
Click here to see my Hampton's website to see all my listings; please email me or call me for all your real estate needs in Southampton, Bridgehampton and Watermill: