Billi Evans, of Springfield Missouri, posited that some people here in the rain can post a shopping list and somehow manage to get 100 comments.
Personally, I saw this as a challenge, so here I am with my shopping list. But it can't be just an ordinary ole run-of-the-mill shopping list, oh no. Cause then you wouldn't be right here on Alan May's blog, then would ya?
So here's my shopping list (no photos, no graphics) for my sellers when listing their homes:
- Formula 409 (for cleaning up the whole house)
- Odor Eaters (to hang on the walls of that stanky, stanky basement)
- Pooper Scooper (to pick up that... uh... stuff from the back yard, so that buyers can walk through the yard without fear, and won't then track that, uh... stuff, back through your home.
- extra 100 watt bulbs.
- A few extra torchiere lamps to put those extra 100 watt bulbs into, to light up those dark corners of the house.
- Paint. Yep, fresh paint, to cover up the crayon drawing your kids 'gifted' you, in their rooms. Touch up anything that needs 'touching up".
- Wicker baskets. Yep, cute charming wicker baskets to put some of your children's toys into... no... ALL of your children's toys.
- Febreze. (do I need to say why?)
- Purty bed-linens for all the beds (duh)
- Windex. (yes, use it on the windows).
- A few nice wall hangings or artwork. (to add a spot of colour here and there... don't go crazy.. less is more).
- If you don't have one, hire a housekeeping service weekly. That's right, weekly.
- A fresh cell-phone battery. We don't want to miss showings because your phone was dead, and you missed a few calls.
- Hire a landscaper for the yard. We want fresh fertilized grass, the greener the better (and NO, rover's 'stuff' doesn't count as landscaping fertilizer.
- Mulch the shrubbery with fresh colourful mulch. Why? Cause it looks nice.
- Flowers. Put fresh cut, or live flowering plants throughout the house.
- Fresh baked (or those faux-baked Pillsbury style) cookies.... put some out, on a tray, for home viewers to snack on... and they make the house smell wonderful (if you don't want to have cookies around the house.. fresh bread will do nicely, or boil a little cinnamon on the stove)
- Rug Cleaner. Buy some rug stain-remover, and get rid of any obvious stains. If the rugs or carpeting is too bad, hire a steam cleaning service.
- a Pod. Rent a pod and get rid of all your clutter. Anything that you haven't touched, or used in over a year, put it in the POD.. (an no, I don't count your spouse).
- Closet organizers or systems. Do whatever you have to to make your closets look neat and organized. We don't want buyers to think that you don't have enough storage or closet space.
Okay... I'm sure I've left off tons of stuff. Feel free to add to the list. There Billi, I've posted a "shopping list." Start counting.
and pick up your underwear from the bathroom floor... please!