FDIC is going after Appraisal Management Coupanies for Appraisal Deficiencies - mostly work from the height of the market.
List of some problems found:
1) inadequate analysis of a purchase contract, or failure to report prior listings.
2) Failure to report prior sales within 3-year of the subject property
3) use of improper comps or avoiding better comps
4) applying improper or inconsistent adjustments to comparables
5) omits or misrepresnets significant physical or locational characteristics of the propety
6) Appraiser reported "stable" prices when prices were declining.
75% of the appraisals reviewed - provided - were found to contain multiple egregious violations of USPAP and applicable industry standards. I recognized a few appraiser names on the list - and one property was in my town.