I love paying forward. This blog reminds me of how just a little can mean so much to one person. If we all could do that one little thing to pay forward .
This make me smile and think to pass on this tip!
Here's to paying forward!
She just won the lottery!
I've done this Pay It Forward before, but I do believe it is rapidly becoming my favorite way to Pay It Forward.
It's not exactly easy, but it is fun, especially when I see the wild eyes of excitement on the recipient and the feeling in my heart.
Here is what I do about once a month:
First, throughout the month I buy bottles and cans of drinks, such as Crystal Geyser, Diet Coke, Sprite, Black Velvet, tequila, and margarita. California charges us a nickel for each small bottle or can that we buy, and a dime for the big bottles, but we can get that money back if we'll save the bottles and cans and recycle them, and that's what I do. After I drink what's in those bottles and cans!
The place where I recycle gives a cash receipt for Ralphs grocery store. That's the only place where I can spend the money. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the recycling company is located in the front corner of the Ralphs parking lot.
There's always a line at the recycling center, and there are a lot of homeless people who use the center, so what I do is put all my bottles and cans through the machines, get my receipt, and....
...turn around and give it to the worst-looking person I can find. This simple act always gets an exclamatory Thank you! that is often followed by Are you sure?
For me it's a lot of fun because I do enjoy recycling and I do enjoy helping others. Since I had already "lost" the money when I originally bought the drinks, I really haven't missed it, so not getting it back by giving it to someone else causes no pain.
When I did this a couple of days ago, the total came to $19.45, and the gal that I gave it to, well, I don't think she's had anyone do anything really nice for her in many a day because I think she was the happiest person on Earth. As soon as she finished thanking me, she rushed into Ralphs and that's the last I saw of her.
To me, it's only $19.45. To her, well, she probably thinks she just won the lottery!
Twenty most recent posts
- Pay It Forward — Just because you put "Pay It Forward" in the title....
- Picture of the Moment by Russel Ray Photos — Help! Let me out!
- Business & Marketing — I thought this was a family friendly site - Pornography at ActiveRain
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Why won't home inspectors do re-inspections?
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Why re-inspections are a good idea
- Picture of the Moment by Russel Ray Photos — Roses are red, violets are blue.... and Friday the 13th?
- Business & Marketing — If you're quitting business, don't just quit!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — It is tempting, though
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — It might be time for Mr. Buyer to cancel the purchase contract and move on
- Opinion — I'd rather go to the Zoo than work for a snake.
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — And that's where water spots on the ceiling come from!
- Business & Marketing — Don't let the sun set on YOUR business!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — When sellers decide they don't want to sell after the home inspection, I get more work!
- Picture of the Moment by Russel Ray Photos — Little boy fascination
- Opinion — Maybe you need to see a therapist
- Flower Fiesta — For all the mothers on Mother's Day
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — It doesn't look, smell, or taste like popcorn!
- Business & Marketing — How much is your 2¢ worth, worth?
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Don't just take a shower!
- Pay It Forward — Would you like a glass of Google juice? It's good for you! (part 12)
If you need a home inspection to make your day,
make sure it's one by Russel Ray!
Try Russel Ray Photos
for inexpensive, royalty-free photos.
Member since 2003 of
The world’s largest and best trade association for home inspectors!