Preparing for the LEED GA exam from USGBC.
The exam is ever changing with different questions but here are the basics that I used to pass the LEED Green Associates (LEED GA) exam in 2010.
1. Take a “LEED Green Associate Core Concepts” class, live presentation at a local community college. There is a great one in Connecticut, click on highlighted text above to go to link.
The course I took in Connecticut was based on two publications:-
~ Green Building and LEED Core Concepts by USGBC
~ LEED 2009 for NEW Construction and Major Renovations
~ Click here to see current LEED Green Associate Collateral material offered by the Connecticut Community College’s.
2. Download and print the LEED Green Associate Candidate Handbook. Every month it changes a little so get the most current one and read it all. Pay close attention to the material listed under Preparing for Your Exam ~ References. READ ALL of THOSE REFERENCES. **
~ Especially ….. The Treatment by LEED® of the Environmental Impact of HVAC Refrigerants.
3. Take practice exam test questions, my favorite are at GreenExamPrep.com. I used this site for both my LEED GA and LEED AP. Once you consistently get 80% on the practice test you should be good to go.
The package I recommend is first decide if you are going for a LEED AP in the future if so pick the designation such as LEED AP BD+C (or LEED Homes, etc) and sign up for that for $49.95, this is what you get:-
400 LEED AP Building Design + Construction Practice Test Questions available online with our exam simulator - unlimited use for 90 days (DO NOT ACTIVATE UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO TAKE THE LEED AP EXAM)
Instant Access: Place your order and start using the practice tests from your browser. NO waiting and NO software to install.
Free Bonus Item #1: 700 LEED Green Associate Practice Test Questions * HERE ARE YOUR LEED GA QUESTIONS.
Free Bonus Item #2: 239 page LEED Green Associate Study Guide (PDF format)
Free Bonus Item #3: 8 hour LEED Green Associate audio book (MP3 format)
There are many different sites, ask your instructor, co-workers, associates for recommendations.
**** When taking the practice test, any question you get wrong, write down and read up on! ****
4. Check out forums, the one I used was www.areforum.org , you will have to log in, go to ENTER forum and look under ENTER LEED Topic. Once on the forum do a search for LEED GA, you find a lot of information. Also check out GreenExamPrep.com forum for tips and advice on about taking the LEED GA exam. You will have to create a free account and password to get to the forum.
.*** On AreForum RookWood had posted helpful study guide material, you can go to his website now to get it.
AreForum not up and running try
5. Know your Acronyms, definitions and vocabulary. Click here to go to get attached file that I used for myself.
6. Practice good test taking:-
~ If you are unsure on the correct answer, rule out the wrong ones, you can usually rule out two which will leave you two in a multiple 4 choice question
~ Read the question very carefully, many times they are trick questions such as:-
~ which one does NOT apply
~ they include irrelevant information, concentrate on what they are asking for.
GOOD LUCK, ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LEAVE THEM IN THE COMMENT SECTION.
David Popoff is a license Realtor in Connecticut with William Raveis office in Darien. A life time resident of Fairfield County with over 30 years of local work experience, David has been living in Darien, Ct since 2004.
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes by the USGBC and a member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and a member of the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct. .
- Contact David Popoff for all your real estate needs in Darien, New Canaan, Rowayton and other parts of Connecticut.